Food and nutrition go hand in hand. Simply defined, food is anything we eat and drink, which provides energy and help our body grow.
Nutrition is the process in which you consume food, digest and absorb them for growth and health.
Most food contain a mix of nutrient types and a healthy diet should include these.
There are seven major types of nutrients :
1. Carbohydrates - our main sources of energy, like Whole grains, fruits, honey.
2. Fats - our source of energy as well as important in relation to fat soluble vitamins. Some example of healthy fats are avocados, olives, nuts, seeds, monosaturated oils like olive oil and canola oil.
3. Proteins - essential for growth and repair, like eggs, fish, meat.
4. Minerals - necessary for normal functions, though required in traces, for example potassium, sodium, iodine etc. Fruits and vegetables are rich sources.
5. Vitamins - play an important role in the chemical processes in the body. Fruits and vegetables are full of vitamins.
6. Fiber - helps in digestion. Fiber is found in abundance in whole grains, veggies and fruits.
7. Water - essential for normal body function as 70% of body is water.
Those who follow a healthy diet reduces their risk of diseases like diabetes and cancer. A poor diet may have adverse effect on your health, causing diseases like anaemia, obesity, cardiovascular diseases and osteoporosis.
Aim to consume a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and healthy fats. Drink atleast 10-12 glasses of water.